Chapter 1 / Sharing Stories
The Homebody Club: Resources
The Homebody Club is designed to help us pass the time, to remain connected with one another, and to have fun amidst the uncertainty. We want to create a small sense of normalcy and good distraction; to make being home feel like a staycation with our friends around the world.
We also want to use The Homebody Club to spotlight some other cool initiatives that rad humans and brands are doing during this time, and resources that we're finding helpful that were shared with us.
The Homebody Club wouldn't be a community without finding a way to bring it back. Below, we're sharing a list of some local (to Vancouver) non-profits that might need our support right now.
And lastly, we also want to shout out our fellow independent small brands, freelancers, creatives, Asian communities, food, beverage, and hospitality pals, and we know there are many. Please tag yourself or mention others in our Instagram post. If you are able to, keep them in mind when shopping online during this time, or think about purchasing some gift cards that can be used in the future when everything settles.
We are also compiling a list below of local food and beverage, specifically those that are remaining open or are offering delivery so that you can continue to keep your body fueled with treats from your local favourites. Please consider: a lot of local restaurants are already closed and not listed below and it is heartbreaking. Many of our small mom and pop, hole-in-the-wall spots by our resilient Asian communities do not have social media either. Consider checking in on them still, remind them that we're still here for them at the end of this all, even if right now they are not operational.*
Thank you for being a part of The Homebody Club. #HomeTogether
Other cool things people are doing:
• Lululemon sharing live yoga, meditations and more
• Local chef, Dallah El Chami, of Superbaba, started a support group for local food and beverage industry
• Tight Club sharing live workouts
• Vancouver Fitness Trainers Julie Chutter sharing live 8 AM workouts
• Jaybird sharing live restorative yoga
• Fuelled by Feeling sharing live workouts
• District Vision - Free Mindful Athlete Course
• UNDO Ordinary hosting google hangouts and taking conversations online
• Ride Cycle Club offering live Classes
• All City Athletics offering live classes
• Jivamukti Yoga - LaLaLa offering free live yoga online
• Sara Auster offering free sound bath meditations online
• Paragon Tea room in Vancouver has put in a wholesale order for toilet paper, Oat Milk, and Hand soap to extend to the community - order here
• Global Citizen x WHO are putting on amazing at home live stream concerts with artist like Chris Martin and John Legend. Follow along #TogetheratHome and on their instagram.
• Sustainable Coastlines Hawai'i family are finding ways to still stay connected and keep us educated on earth health
• Local Vancouverites created Share The Goods; a website created to help pair those who need groceries, with those that can help across Canada
• Say Mercy and some other restaurants in Vancouver are offering discounted 'Staff Meals' - $5- $10 meals that you can order to-go for yourselves, or even offer to their staff. These meals also have an option to donate $2 to Vancouver Food Bank
• Another Room created a fun puzzle of online adventures to do while at home featuring collaborations with their community
• Vancouver's TurF is offering free meals every Thurs for present and past staff at their Kits location. And $5 meals that the community can purchase for themselves or encouraged to donate to someone in need or on the frontlines.
• Vancouver artist Zoe Pawlak is giving free art pieces to individuals from the community who commit the requested amount to go to a local charity of their choice.
• Hua Foundation is a youth driven non profit raising money to launch a delivery grocery program to help isolated elders in Vancouver Chinatown and Strathcona areas.
Resources we're finding useful:
BC/ CANADA –
• Canada Emergency Response Relief Fund - a fund for Canadians who's jobs are impacted by COVID-19 and not typically eligible for EI, can receive up to $2000 taxable support each month for up to 4 months via application starting April 2020
• Applying for EI in BC for those affected by COVID019 , extended to freelancers and small business owners as well (shared via @moniquelevesqueisfrench)
• Vancouver Facebook group coming together to help those in need
• BC COVID-19 Assessment tool - if you are feeling any symptoms please look at this site and take the assessment. Note that 811 is highly jammed and the nurses are trying their best to get through to everyone. Stay calm and patient and kind, and stay at home if you feel unwell at all.
• Adobe Suite users – if you pay for a plan Adobe is offering two months free. Go through the cancellation process, pick 'too expensive', and there will be an offer extended to you (shared via @ladybusinessyvr)
• Mortgage: Effective Immediately, RBC, TD, BMO, Scotiabank, CIBC and National Bank offering deferral of mortgage payments for up to six months. Speak to your bank rep.
• Vancouver freelancers have put together a google sheets to support one another
• NYC support for small businesses (shared via Sophia Chang)
• Our friend and photographer Esther Lee offering five free product photoshoot sessions for retail businesses in LA impacted by COVID-19
• Pyer Moss and Kerby Jean Raymond labels commits to setting aside $50,000 for women led and minority creative businesses in NYC
• Facebook is offering small business grants for businesses affected by COVID-19 - applications soon.
Articles and resources:
• Follow WHO (World Health Organization) for the most reliable updates on COVID-19
• NY Times with a eye-opening graphic of how the outbreak can spread
• Washington post on Social Distancing
• Tim Ferriss episode on how to stay calm
• Vox on the math behind why we need Social Distancing
• Forbes on advice to Small Business Owners
Local Vancouver Non-Profits that could use our help:
• Mask a Hero BC - donate masks, gowns, or gloves to help our frontline health care workers in BC
• Backpack Buddies
• Unicef Canada
• Food Bank Vancouver
Some local Vancouver food, beverage pals that could use some love and support: **Please consider: a lot of local restaurants are already closed and not listed below. Many of our small mom and pop, hole-in-the-wall spots by our Asian communities don't have social media either. Consider checking in on them still, remind them that we're still here for them at the end of this all, even if right now they are not operational.*
• Scout Magazine is a great resource on the food and bev in Vancouver
• Legends Haul extending delivery from just restaurants to homes in Vancouver needing groceries
• Farm to Table Market is offering grocery delivery in the Yaletown Area
• Luna Coffee - is donating $2 from each bag of Juicebox to the Vancouver Food and Beverage Community Relief Fund
• Vancouver Markets are rearranging their set up to operate as another access point for fresh food - open for groceries
• Breaking Bread Now - is a great resource for how to support local, independent restaurants
• Good Boy Collective - offering bulk food and treats delivery on apps, for your pets!
• Hanai family table - offering delivery options for the community
• Coffee Bar Gastown - open for take out
• Timbertrain Coffee – 15% off beans with code BREWATHOME
• Autostrada Main - doing takeout and offering 20% off
• Bob Like's Thai Food - doing takeout
• Nemesis Coffee - doing take out bulk coffee beans and bread
• Caffe La Tana - open for groceries
• Toshi sushi - open for takeout
• Paragon Tea - open for takeout
• House Special - open for takeout and delivery on food apps
• Chau Veggie - open for takeout and 10% off
• Garden Strathcona - open for takeout and delivering on food delivery apps
• Strathcona Beer - open for takeout pizza and beer (and offering to help those that might need a meal)
• Dickys Dumps - delivering dumplings to you
• Federal Store - open for takeout and groceries * email email@example.com for their new pickup/delivery order form
• Hoke Poke - open for takeout and delivery
• Shiro Sushi - open for takeout
• Carp Sushi - open for takeout
• Suika - open for takeout and food delivery on food delivery apps
• Di Beppe Restaurant - open for takeout
• yAMA Cafe - open for takeout
• DD Mau Chinatown - open for takeout and delivery on food apps
• Say Hey Cafe - open for delivery on food apps
• Thomas Haas - open and will delivery your prepaid goods to your car
• La Glace Ice cream - open and available on delivery through food apps
• Rain or Shine - open for pint sales only
• Raisu - open for takeout
• Beaucoup Bakery - open for takeout, accepting pre-orders
• Juice Truck - open for takeout and delivery on food apps, use the promo code HOMESAFE for 15% on home delivery
• Platform 7- open for takeout
• Yolks - open for call ahead takeout
• Heritage Asian Eatery - open for takeout and delivery
• Butter Baked Goods - open for takeout and delivery
• Meat & Bread- open for takeout and delivery
• Iktsuarpokcoffeestand - Now Closed