Chapter 1 / Sharing Stories
Words by: Hannah Chew
Leading a more conscious lifestyle can be daunting and at times an overwhelming process. But it is important to note that it is not about being perfect. It involves an ongoing process of development and a commitment to recognizing the impacts of human actions on our environment. As with anything, more conscious practices can quickly evolve into a shifting of habits and routine – the result of continuous and simple actions that ultimately have a much greater impact than we initially think.
Below are a few articles we want to share that inspires us to ‘stick with it’. We are surrounded by people, places, and companies that keep us committed to the journey, by showing us the progress of how our shifting perspectives and simple actions are making huge waves around the world. Read a few and feel the movement that we are all driving forward, together.
Shifting habits around the world.
• Hawaii to become the first state to ban styrofoam food containers
• Taiwan banning single-use plastics by 2030 https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/03/01/world/science-health-world/taiwan-ban-disposable-plastic-items-2030/#.XE6HNc9Kjdc
• EU banning single-use plastics
• South Korea bans plastic bags from supermarkets. They join many others now imposing a ban on single-use plastics including Bali, Kenya, Australia, New Zealand, France, and the Netherlands.
• Marie Kondo releases Netflix show, “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo” | The ‘KonMari’ system of organizing – keeping only objects that ‘spark joy’ – encourages us to be more connected to our surroundings and our minds. Kondo’s simple method seeks to alleviate much of the stress associated with decluttering and inspires a mindful approach to living.
Companies and organizations doing some pretty cool things.
• Ikea phasing out all single-use plastic products
• McDonald’s to ban plastic straws in the UK
• New zero-waste platform, Loop, launching this year | Loop is a coalition of multinational corporations, such as Procter & Gamble and Unilever, and is a huge step towards being proactive in considering how we consume day to day necessities with how we close the loop on these products once we're done with them, promoting reusing versus disposing. Sharing is caring!
• Parley x Adidas Bringing the Oceans to the Ice | Parley is an organization that inspires us with the work they do in protecting and educating about our oceans. Their partnership with Adidas continues to evolve from shoes made with ocean plastic, to now football, soccer, tennis and hockey jerseys made from upcycled and repurposed materials; sport has become a new way to communicate a greater message. https://www.parley.tv/updates/2019/1/8/adidas-hockey-x-parley-nhl-all-star
Mother Nature is amazing.
• Giant great white shark swims with Hawaii divers
• Secrets of animals captured in underwater photography contest | Photographers around the world gathered for the seventh annual Ocean Art Underwater Photography Contest, and the stunning shots remind us of the beauty and life that we are trying to protect.
• Blue Planet II is now on Netflix | A docuseries focused on highlighting the natural beauty and magnificence of our oceans. Narrated by David Attenborough. Also available on BBC.